12.01.2013

World Book Night Application Process Part 2

First of all, I apologize. I thought I clicked publish on this post weeks ago, but apparently I did not.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I am making aspects of my experience public this year to encourage others to participate in World Book Night 2014. Last year's experience was positive, and I would like others to take the opportunity to share the gift of reading.

The Book and the Potential Recipients
 
The contenders were as follows:
  • Catch - 22; Joseph Heller
  • The Dog Stars; Peter Heller
  • Pontoon;  Garrison Keillor
  • Same Difference;  Derek Kirk Kim
  • Bobcat and other Stories; Rebecca Lee
  • Tales of the City; Armistead Maupin
 
And the winner is

 
Tales of the City
 

 
 
 
I chose this book based on the potential recipients in my community. I had identified the following as potential recipients:
 
Potential Recipients:
  • Seniors living in an apartment building on a bus route near the public library where I work.
  • Adults at the Recreational Center across the street from the library where I work.
  • People who use a drop-in center in my neighborhood for women, children and transgender individuals who are experiencing homelessness and poverty.


A coworker who has not participated in World Book Night expressed interest in sharing books with the Seniors in our community. Dog Stars and Pontoon were my selections for those recipients.

Bobcat and Other Short Stories along with Same Difference were meant for the patrons of the recreation center because both titles could easily be read in short bursts of attention. However, when I visited the recreation center, most people had brought their own reading material or were "plugged in."

With four titles eliminated, I was down to Catch-22 and Tales of the City. I selected Tales of the City because I thought it would have more wide-spread appeal to the women, teens, and transgender individuals who would most likely receive the book.

With my personal selection process completed, I was ready to complete my application.

The Application
 
You must be 16 years of age or older. The application asks for standard information including your name, address, email address, and phone number. You select three books from the list and indicate whether or not you have read your first choice, complete the questions below, and voila application complete.
 
 
Where do you intend to give out the books?
 
To whom do you intend to give the books?
 
Why do you want to participate in World Book Night?
 
 
Now is when you wait to find out if you have been selected to be a book giver. Givers are notified in February 2014. You can also sign up to receive the newsletter and follow @wbnamerica on Twitter. You can follow me, too @FriendRsquared




 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us this year! It was interesting to see your criteria for selecting Maupin's book, and the recipients that might enjoy/benefit from a book like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These World Book Night posts seems so very personal for some reason. I am glad that you found my process interesting and not just convoluted. Is interesting your code word for convoluted?

      Delete