I just finished book #8. Each year I try to read 1 book from each category and then go back and read books that look like books of interest. I have generally enjoyed each of the books I have read so far.
1. Dear Martin (Morris, Quick Books)
2. As the Crow Flies (Stonewall) most problematic/unsatisfying, I'm not a fan of series, hence #8.
3.Piecing Me Together (Best Fiction, Amelia Bloomer, Coretta Scott King)
4. I am Alfonso Jones (Great Graphic Novels)
5. Saints and Misfits (Morris, Amelia Bloomer)
6. We are Okay (Printz, Rainbow List)
7. The Stars Beneath Our Feet (Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe)
8. Little & Lion (Stonewall)
Piecing Me Together is my favorite at this time. As a former gifted and talented student in the first International Baccalaureate program at my high school, so much of this book rings true. I was especially impacted by the examination of why so many programs, volunteers, and organizations seek to "support" underrepresented students of color, but never consider the gifts, talents, and passion that these same students of color have to offer the wider community.
If you'd like to join in on this challenge you can sign up here. Happy Reading!