10.01.2016

The 4th Quarter

I, like many, get excited for the first day of a new month. I like the idea of a fresh start, new beginnings and all of that, but the first day of October reminds me not only of beginnings, but also of endings, and the importance of both.

I am a basketball fan. I am a Knicks fan! One thing I love about the game of basketball is the intensity of the 4th Quarter. A team can play well for the first 3 quarters of the game, but if they don't come out with a game plan and finish strong that final quarter they can lose the game. Conversely, a team can struggle through the beginning of a game, but come out in the 4th quarter prepared to put in work, and finish the game strong to get a win. Both teams know this. Forget the fat lady and her songs, it is not over until that buzzer sounds.

New York Knicks v. Milwaukee Bucks, 1972 
Led by Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the Bucks held an 18-point lead in Madison Square Garden with about six minutes to go. With no three-point line, the Knicks clawed their way back for a one-point win. The Knicks have heart. Did I mention that I am a Knicks fan?

The fourth quarter of the calendar year is October through December. Today, October 1st, is day one of the final quarter of 2016. I am prepared to finish strong. I have my plan - my 17 goals and tasks to complete before 2017. I have my team - my heavenly Father, my faith community, my #GirlTrek sisters. I have heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment