4.20.2014

Happy Resurrection Day - Dream Big!

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
~ Psalm 120:1-2a

I have spent the past 40 days with Howard Thurman*. Not with the man himself of course, but with his writings. This week I read a selection from The Inward Journey on dreams... "The dreams belong to us; they come full-blown out of the real world in which we work and hope and carry on. They are not imposters...No! Our dreams are our thing."
The Inward Journey


Gabriel Garcia Marquez passed away and this week, which again got me thinking about dreams.


Which leads me to Langston Hughes. Although Hughes repudiated both Christianity and Atheism, his poetry is deeply spiritual for me. Since I am rambling writing about dreams, and this being National Poetry Month I must share "Dreams" before I get to the point and share what all of this has to do with Resurrection Day. Please bear with me just a while longer.

Langston Hughes
Dreams
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
~ Langston Hughes



With all of this reading, thinking, and praying about dreams this week, today, Resurrection Day, I am asking myself if there are some dreams that I need to resurrect. What about you? Do you have any dreams that could (or should) be resurrected?

God of today and tomorrow, I pray for really good dreams; for dreams that inspire me and shake me up. Amen.*

* From 40-Day journey with Howard Thurman Editor Donna Schaper

No comments:

Post a Comment