3.30.2014

Truth in Fiction - If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch

If You Find Me

"I answer her with my silence, understanding the full power of it for the first time. Words are weapons. Weapons are powerful. So are unsaid words. So are unused weapons." p.24

I have understood the power of silence and words for quite a while. However, I never quite thought of words as weapons which is surprising as I know how much words can hurt. I know how much damage words can inflict on self and on another. Yet, I still see words as tools...tools and weapons.


"What do you mean you got nothin'? You have these books, for one. Books are like whole new worlds," I say, my voice reverent.
"So?"
"So, that means you have the world. And you better take care of it, I say, handin' the book back to her." p.117


"Good things come to those who let them in. All you have you have to do is take a chance." p.135

I agree that good things come to those who let them in, but for me it is much easier said than done. "All" is a very big word in this instance. Taking chances can be simple in certain aspects of life and complicated in others. Taking chances on myself and on others is a mighty big "all" indeed.


"No one warned me that being close to people meant hurting sometimes, both them and you." p.164

Getting close to people is not something I do well or often. The hurt I have caused loved ones gives me as much pause as the hurt that has been inflicted on me.


"I wait, listening. I reckon it's the biggest gift a human being can give to another." p.185

Listening is indeed a gift, a big and precious gift. There is absolutely nothing like being heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment