10.10.2013

Dewey's Read-A-Thon Preparations

It is October and that has come to mean one thing and one thing only. That's right! It is time for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. One entire day, 24 hours, dedicated to reading. Saturday, October 12, 2013. Nothing gets me blogging like Dewey's Read-a-thon. This is my third read-a-thon and I am starting to get the hang of things. I now have clear goals and a plan of action. It is not a detailed plan of action, but at least I have the outline of a strategy.
 
Last read-a-thon I planned my reading location well, which made for a comfortable and relaxing 24 hours. I had plenty of quiet space, supplemental reading materials, great light, internet access, and comfortable chairs. This read-a-thon I have planned the social aspects of the read-a-thon, and I believe it will make for a fun and lively 24 hours.
 
To make this experience more social, I told EVERYBODY about the read-a-thon and asked them to participate. None of my friends could participate for the entire read-a-thon, but a couple of them volunteered to be cheerleaders #RahRahReadathon! The best thing is that several of my friends and I are getting together for a read-a-thon party. They are cooking the food and I am bringing the books and snacks. We are all going to sprawl out and READ READ READ!!!
 
 
 
Goals
  • Read all of the Silver Bell Award Winners
  • Read at least one book out of my comfort zone (which means romance and/or horror)
  • HAVE FUN!!!
Snacks
  • cheese
  • crackers
  • turkey jerky


Book Gifts for Guests 
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Reader 1- Male;  Mid-Late 50's;  Former bookseller
 
 
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
Reader 2 - Female; 12 years old, Student
School for Science and Technology
 
 
Beautiful Ruins
Reader 3 - Female; Mid 40's; Writer

Golden Boy
Reader 4 - Female; Mid 40's; Social Activist
 
 
Page by Paige
Reader 5-Female; 16 years old; Student School for the Arts

 


Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
Reader 6 - Male; 7 years old; Student; Series fan


The Running Dream
Reader 7 - Female; Mid 40's; Runner



6 comments:

  1. You are clearly a veteran now. Great job. I love all the things you are doing and it sounds like you and your friends are going to have a wonderful day of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what nice gifts you found! Sounds so much fun with a party

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have SO MUCH FUN! I've seen lots more people getting Readathon groups together, and I just think it's brilliant! Have a blast! --Andi, Readathon Host

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea! I love that you have found a way to include others and make it even better for yourself! Have a great day!
    Lisa
    #TeamOtter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the books! It was one of the nicest parties ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you liked the books. It brought me so much joy to celebrate read-a-thon with friends. I hope I didn't keep you out too late.

      Delete