11.25.2015

Truth in Fiction II None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio


None of the Above

She'd said that one of the reasons I was so depressed was that I'd been bottling up my emotions. " You might find it helpful if you shifted from inward repression of your feelings to outward expression," she explained. p.237


"I'm just telling you to be careful of letting other people define who - and what - you are." They were words to live by. Yet like so many things in life, easier said than done. p.238




It seemed like a small offering, when I thought about the big picture perspective that Darren had talked about that day we'd run up to the top of the hill. But then I thought of a different perspective - that of a ten-year-old-girl sitting in a doctor's office, waiting for her mother to get called in. And I remembered how from that point of view, the right magazine or a good book was as large as the world.


We were both silent for a minute. And I wondered for the first time whether "feeling feminine" just meant feeling good in your own skin. p. 250


You can tell something is a true comfort food when you feel better just having ordered it. p. 276




One day I would find my own place. I couldn't run there, though, because it didn't exist yet; I had to build it myself, out of forgiveness, truth, and terrifying gestures of friendship. 305








No comments:

Post a Comment