10.31.2015

Books That Make Me Want to Scream

Hello, F/friends. Today's post is dedicated to those books that make me want to scream. No, I do not mean horror books. I truly don't understand purposely reading a book so I can be frightened. Nope not me, but for you horror fans I will have a few suggestions for you near the end. 

Now the books that truly make me want to scream are the BabyLit books. According to the website, "BabyLit is a fashionable way to introduce your child to the world of classic literature." If you want more information, you can click here or you can continue to read my mini-rant post. According to me BabyLit is yet another way to ensure that parents of infants and toddlers freak out for no good reason. We have Storytime four times a week at my library for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. I facilitate Storytime and work the Children's Service Desk five days a week. I see the pressure that some parents feel for EVERY decision that they make. Sadly, this pressure includes what they should be reading to their children and what their PRESCHOOL aged children should be reading themselves...enter BabyLit. Sigh.



My poor little heart broke when I saw this display in my favorite bookstore.

The lesser evil

 My sordid collection


Surprisingly enough, I do have a few horror suggestions (that I have read myself). I try to read one horror novel a year so that I can give at least one suggestion that isn't based on reviews and the wonderful genre work of my librarian colleagues. If you choose to read Scowler, but have the opportunity to listen to it as well, I strongly suggest the audiobook. The Listening Library won the 2014 Odyssey Award for Scowler for good reason. 

Scowler

Scowler by Daniel Kraus


Bird Box
Bird Box by Josh Malerman

You Know What You Have To Do by Bonnie Shimko

Remember those colleagues that I mentioned? Well, one of them has an awesome blog (two awesome blogs actually). Whenever you are looking for a good horror book, head on over to RA for All: Horror.Now is a good time to look because she just wrapped up her October horror blog-a-thon.

No comments:

Post a Comment