1.05.2015

Fresh Beginnings

Meditations of the Heart


Along with being a public librarian, I am also co-clerk of my Meeting's Library Committee. During our January meeting, committee members share stories that represent  “new beginnings” to each of us. History has shown us that we learn even more about each other with this pleasurable custom. Each year I tend to share a piece by Howard Thurman and this year was no different. Meditations of the Heart is my favorite (at this particular moment) work by Howard Thurman. "This is a New Year" and "I want to be Better " spoke to me in fresh ways and I will carry these meditations with me throughout 2015.  

Do you have any bookish traditions that you share with your library staff, family, or friends? Do you have favorite, books, passages, scriptures that are especially meaningful at certain times in your life? If so please share in the comments. Below is my favorite post-holiday reminder from Howard Thurman. Enjoy.


"The Work of Christmas" by Howard Thurman

When the song of the angels is stilled,
When the star in the sky is gone,
When the kings and princes are home,
When the shepherds are back with their flock,
The work of Christmas begins:

To find the lost,
To heal the broken,
To feed the hungry,
To release the prisoner,
To rebuild the nations,
To bring peace among brothers,
To make music in the heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment