2.08.2014

A New Kasama...Farewell, Sony. Hello, Kobo.

Some of you may have heard/read the news on NPR that Sony is closing its e-bookstore, the Reader Store, next month. This was very sad news for me because I own a Sony e-reader, the Sony Daily Edition. I even have the Reader Store app on my phone in case of a reading emergency.

I bought my first and only e-reader before I left for Peace Corps Philippines, and I chose my device with deliberate care. I decided on the Sony Daily Edition because it was user-friendly, had  plenty of storage space along with an SD slot for additional storage (just in case), and most importantly ( for me) because Sony is committed to using open formats. I chose my perfect reader, and it was my faithful Kasama* during my time in the Philippines, and continues to be a wonderful travel companion. The closing of the Reader Store made me sad, but then I continued reading...


Sony is closing its e-bookstore, the Reader Store, and transferring the accounts of American and Canadian customers to e-reading company Kobo. In a press release, Ken Orii, Sony's vice president of Digital Reading Business Division said, "Kobo is the ideal solution for our customers and will deliver a robust and comprehensive user experience. Like Sony, they are committed to those most passionate about reading and share our vision to use open formats** so people can easily read anytime and anywhere." 

Awww Kobo, friend to passionate readers, open formats, and indie booksellers. Farewell, Sony Reader Store. I will miss you dearly. Hello, Kobo. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. I look forward to getting to know you better.

*Kasama strictly translated means companion. As a female volunteer, I was told/instructed that women in the Philippines did not travel anywhere alone.  While the veracity of that statement is subject to interpretation, it is true that when I went out unaccompanied, I was often asked where was my Kasama or if I needed a Kasama. To enjoy the solitude that I needed and craved, I took to referring to my e-reader as my Kasama.

** emphasis mine

No comments:

Post a Comment