Yesterday was my birthday. I went to see The Hunger Games. Obviously it was a post 2006 birthday celebration. A few words of explanation: My dad died the day before my birthday in 2006. I was in New York watching my Knicks defeat the Celtics. That was my 2006 birthday celebration. Birthdays have not been the same since.
I am a HUGE birthday person. I start celebrating my birthday the first day of each year. There are 81 days from the new year to my birthday. I was in Baltimore for my 30th birthday and called my favorite local radio station to join the 30 and over birthday club.You see I love celebrating the anniversary of my birth. I love getting older. I am just as enthusiastic now that I am 41 as I was when I was 21.
That enthusiasm is dampened by memories of 2006. After celebrating the best birthday ever, I returned to Baltimore to a note that changed my life. I did as the note requested and made a phone call and was informed that my dad was dead. I made subsequent calls and within days went from seats at Madison Square Garden to seats in the front pew. I don't remember much about that time, but these things I do remember.
- Countless people talking about my dad's "transition." Nobody used the words death or dead.
- People who didn't know better offering me seemingly endless platitudes. They meant well.
- The presence of the Morehouse contingent. They made me smile. "You can always tell a Morehouse man, but you can't tell him much."
- A colleague of my dad's having a conversation with me. This was one of the most important conversations of my life.
My dad adopted me when I was 20 years old and died, aka transitioned, when I was 35. I loved having a father figure and I loved having a dad even more. 15 years was not enough time for us to have together. However, I have been given more time and that time is a gift. I am still a HUGE birthday person. God has given me the best birthday gift imaginable...life, and this year I will TRUST HIM MORE.
Thanks to my friends and family for the birthday gifts:
- doc popcorn
- Big Hunk candy bar
- Sweet Factory treats - chocolate covered orange sticks, boston baked beans
- The Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales because "Everyone should have a little magic in their lives"