Catching Up

Eleventh Month 2, 2011
First, some catching up is in order. As I stated in my previous post, I refrained from blogging during 
Pre-Service Training for a variety of reasons. At this time, however, I would like to share a brief snapshot of training and share the highlight of my training experience.

My typical schedule during training
First Day
I was able to observe the Sabbath

Second Day Fourth Day and Sixth Day
08:00 -12:00 Technical Training aka Teaching at the local public school
12:00 -1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 5:00 Tagalog Language and Cultural Training

Third Day
08:00 - 12:00 Tagalog Language and Cultural Training
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 5:00 PM Tagalog Language and Cultural Training

Fifth Day
08:00 - 12:00 Tagalog Language and Cultural Training
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch
 1:00 -  3:00 Tagalog Language and Cultural Training
 3:00 -  5:00 Medical Sessions
Seventh Day
08:00 - 12:00 Tagalog Language and Cultural Training

The Highlight of Training (excerpt from my journal written 9- 4- 11)
Yesterday I went to the beach and spent the entire day walking along the shore and singing in the rain. Yes, it had to rain the day I go to the beach, but no matter, I had a great time talking with a friend I have made during training. As nice as my day was, my night was even better!
My host family in Bataan is so incredibly kind and welcoming. The host mother, R, calls me "ate" which means big sister and she treats me as such. A is R's younger sister and she is expecting her third child. A asked me if I would help her deliver her baby at the house. I told her I was not a certified midwife, but that I would be honored to help her as she delivered the baby. I read and reread Where There is No Doctor. I talked to a certified midwife and I prayed.

So, last night I return from my trip to the beach and go check on A. She is fine, with nothing to report. When I left earlier that morning, we had both told the baby that he (I had dreamed he was a boy) had to wait for me to return home before he could decide to make his grand appearance and he listened! I went to sleep around 8:30p.m.  and guess who was born at 12:45a.m. ? You guessed it... here is what happened.

10:48 I receive a text from R "A is not feeling well"
10:49 "I think she is giving birth now"
10:51 "I think she will giving birth now"
10:53 "Ate Regina wake up"
11:04 "A giving birth now"

Aside: Okay so lets clarify this picture. For those who don't know me, I sleep early and I sleep well. I  typically sleep from 8 - 4. I live in the same house with A and R. I am asleep in the next room. The room that has walls that don't reach the ceiling. The room that is maybe 5 steps or a bang on the wall or a loud shout away. R texts me at 1 peso per text for 16 minutes because A is in labor.  We continue to laugh about this nearly 1 month later and yes I saved all of the text messages.

I wake up walk next door and A is indeed in labor. Her water already broke and she is flat on her back grimacing, but barely making a sound. Perspiration is pouring off her beautiful face and I begin to pray. She labors until 12:45 and TW is born. I was given the undeserved honor of naming this beautiful little boy. He came quickly and quietly. A was absolutely amazing. She delivered an 8.5 pound baby in 2 hours without waking up a sleeping household. Both mother and child are healthy. Dad is on his way with the older brothers. When everyone woke up for breakfast they discovered the new member of the family. My heart is full of joy and love for this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment